This page is part of our section Deal with Sin in our study titled Pathway To Freedom
This page contains an inventory of occult sins and suggested prayers for confession and renouncement. There are a growing number of entertainment activities that are of the occult. Many of these have been accepted by mainstream culture and promoted by the entertainment industry as harmless curiosities. We post this inventory to increase people’s awareness of how pervasive the occult is. The activities listed are based on the noted scripture references. If you have further questions about the occult, please visit our page Occult Background.
We hope that you will ask God to reveal to you if there are any occult footholds in your life as you read through this inventory. Please note all activities you have participated in, even if there is a question in your mind as to their occult nature. You want to renounce all involvement in the occult, because it is sin that will otherwise hinder deliverance and healing. When we confess our sins specifically, asking for forgiveness through Christ's blood, we receive forgiveness that washes away any footholds the devil has in us (1 John 1:9, James 5:15-16).
Have you ever- just for fun, out of curiosity or in earnest- done any of the following?
Sins of the flesh, Sins of the eyes (Matthew 5:28; Romans 6:12-14; Romans 8:13-14; 1 Corinthians 6:13-20; Galatians 5:16-21; 1Thessalonians 4:3-8; 1 Peter 2:11; 1 John 2:16)
• Have you ever used LSD, marijuana, crack cocaine or any other mind-expanding or mind-altering drugs?
Have you ever abused prescription drugs?
Have you ever viewed abstract art while under hallucinogenic stimulus?
• Have you ever had a problem with alcohol?
• Have you ever exposed yourself to pornography in magazines, pictures, Internet, TV or stage shows, books, topless bars or X-rated movies?
• Have you ever looked at Hentai or cartoon pornography?
• Have you ever had a problem with habitual masturbation?
• Have you ever participated in cybersex or phone sex?
• Have you ever taken interest in websites/TV shows/videos/magazines about sexual deviation, homosexuality or lesbianism?
• Have you ever been involved in sexual deviation, homosexuality or lesbianism?
• Have you been involved in group sex or bestiality?
• Have you ever had sexual relations with a person who was not your legal spouse? If possible, recall them by name (first name or initial is sufficient).
• Have you had an abortion? Have you fathered a child who was aborted?
Have you been involved in abortion in any way (viewed/witnessed one, assisted in one, performed one, encouraged someone to have one, had a botched abortion, etc.)?
• Have you ever had a fetish?
Soothsayers/Fortune Tellers (Deuteronomy 18:9-16; Isaiah 2:6; Isaiah 47:10-15; Micah 5:12; Acts 16:16-18)
• Have you ever had your fortune told by tea leaves, palm reading, crystal ball, fortune teller, etc.?
• Have you ever read or followed horoscopes, or had a chart made for yourself to predict your future?
• Have you ever read any other type(s) of birth signs?
• Have you ever been hypnotized, practice self-hypnosis, yoga or transcendental meditation? (In Biblical days, hypnotism was spoken of as "casting a spell", and a hypnotist was called a "charmer.")
• Have you ever been involved in charming or enchanting (attempts to use spirit power)?
Necromancy, Spiritualism (1 Samuel 28:7-11; 2 Kings 21:6; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14; Isaiah 8:19-22; Leviticus 19:31; Leviticus 20:6)
• Have you ever attended a séance or a spiritualist meeting?
• Do you believe in reincarnation? Have you ever had a reincarnation reading?
• Have you ever played with an Ouija board, crystal ball, Dungeons & Dragons, Pern (Harper's Tale) or other games involving occult subjects? (witches, warlocks, wizards, magical powers,spirits, etc.)
• Have you ever had a Tarot card reading or practiced cartomancy (using playing cards for fortune telling or other magical purposes)?
• Have you ever played games of an occult nature, using ESP, telepathy, hypnotism, etc.?
• Have you ever consulted a medium, spiritualist or numerologist?
• Have you ever acted as a medium?
• Have you ever practiced channeling spirits?
• Have you ever seen and/or communicated with apparitions that are not of God?
• Have you ever sought healing through magic spells or charms, a Christian Scientist, new age healer, spiritualist, witch doctor or shaman?
• Have you ever been involved in acupuncture?
• Have you ever practiced table lifting, levitation of objects, pendulum swinging, lifting of bodies, automatic writing, astral travel or soul-travel?
• Have you ever used a charm, amulet of any kind, or crystal for protection, power or good luck?
• Are you superstitious?
• Have you ever participated in chain letters?
• Have you ever practiced water witching or dowsing to find out information such as where to dig a well?
• Have you ever practiced any other kind of black arts?
• Have you ever practiced seer stone divination?
• Have you ever visited or driven through a town known for its occult activities?
Occult Books, "Contact" Objects and Other Media (Exodus 20:3-6; Deuteronomy 5:8-10; Deuteronomy 7:4-6, 25-26; 2 Kings 22:15-20; Psalm 97:7; Isaiah 42:17; Acts 19:19-20)
• Have you read or possessed books on Wicca, astrology, interpretation of dreams, augury or interpretation of omens, cults, Pern (Harper's Tale) or other religious groups which deviate from scriptural Christian doctrine? (examples: Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Science, Unity, Scientology or Science of the Mind)
• Have you ever read or possessed books on witchcraft, fortune telling, magic, ESP, psychic phenomena or possession? (Harry Potter books, Steven King novels, the Cabala, the satanic bible, books on casting spells,hexes or curses, witchcraft, etc..)
• Do you have anything in your home that was given to you by someone in the occult? Do you have anything in your home of an occult nature? (Indian dream catchers, Buddha statues, new age crystals, etc.)
• Have you followed the writings of Edgar Cayce, Jean Dixon, Shirley MacLaine, L. "Ron" Hubbard, Anne McCaffrey, Nastrodamus, or New Age authors?
• Do you find yourself interested in demonic types of movies such as The Exorcist, Rosemary’s Baby, or The Omen? Are you drawn to horror shows or scary movies such as Friday the 13th?
• Are you fascinated with evil or the occult?
• Have you ever believed the idea that man is self-sufficient and does not need God?
• Have you ever listened to hard or acid rock music with a satanic influence or music with a new age influence?
• Have you ever visited or worshipped in a shrine or temple of a non-Judeo/Christian religion? Do you possess any books, articles or statues from any of these religions? (Mayan ruins, Egyptian pyramids, Hawaiian luaus can all be examples)
• Have you played or do you own video games/books/movies that involve characters with superhuman or supernatural powers that are not from God? (Harry Potter, Zelda, Pokemon, Diablo, Powerball, Dungeons & Dragons, Atmosfear, Star Wars series, etc.)
Sorcery or Magic (2 Kings 17:17, 2 Kings 21:6; Isaiah 47:9; Ezekiel 13:17-23; Malachi 3:5; Acts 8:11; Acts 13:4-12; Revelation 18:23; Revelation 21:8)
• Have you ever practiced sorcery or magic?
• Have you ever practiced mind control over any person or animal, cast a magic spell or sought a psychic experience?
• Have you ever contacted a psychic in person or through a psychic hotline?
• Have you ever consulted voodoo in order to bring harm on another person, protection for yourself or cause someone to fall in love with you?
Devil Worship (1 Corinthians 10:20-22; Psalm 106:37; Revelation 9:20-21; Revelation 13:4)
• Have you ever made a pact with Satan or been involved in or witnessed Satan worship or black magic?
• Have you ever been involved with anyone in The Brotherhood, The Illuminati or the Sisters of Light?
• Have you ever worn, owned or had in your home the symbol of the ankh (a cross with a ring top that is used in satanic rites)?
• Have you ever celebrated a black mass? Have you ever witnessed a black mass?
• Have you ever made a blood subscription or pack?
• Have you ever asked for a spirit guide to help you?
Witchcraft (Galatians 5:19-20; 1 Samuel 28:5-24; 1 Chronicles 10:13; 2 Kings 9:22; 2 Kings 23:24; Isaiah 8:19; Isaiah 19:3; Ezekiel 13:17-23; Micah 5:12)
• Have you ever attended witchcraft or voodoo activities?
• Have you ever been involved in Wicca, New Age, Freemasonry, Eastern Star, De Molay or Rainbow Girls?
• Have you ever wished someone were dead? Wished you were dead?
• Have you ever planned or attempted to take your own life?
• Have you ever planned or attempted to take someone else’s life?
• Have you ever sent a curse, hex or spell on someone? Generational Influence (Exodus 34:6-7; Numbers 14:17-19; Deuteronomy 5:8-10; Isaiah 19:3)
• Have other family members had problems with alcohol or drugs?
• Do you know of any relatives or ancestors who have been into Wicca, witchcraft, pagan religions, fortune telling or strong superstitions, or used magic spells or potions?
• Has anyone in your family been involved in Freemasonry, Eastern Star, De Molay or Rainbow Girls?
• Has anyone in your family been involved in any of the activities mentioned in this inventory? If so, please note the family relation and the activities involved.